Every firm that is working with Artificial Intelligence need lots of computer power. So we started thinking: we are sitting behind our computers all day, but are we actually capable to build our own dream computer? It was time to build the ‘DreamMachine’ - a super power computer for our company ONDEWO. Long story short: we ordered computer parts, invited our AI- and chatbot friends, and of course pizza! And it turned out that some of us did this not for the first time
The ingredients - The DeepLearning DreamMachine
It makes sense? Definitely!
- Ram Chips: 128 GB DDR4 DIMM 288 pin
- SSD Card: 1TB Samsung SSD 960 PRO, M.2 (MZ-V6P1T0BW)
- Fan: Corsair Professional Series HX1200i 1200W ATX 2.4 (CP-9020070-EU)
- Motherboard: ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe
- Processor: Intel Core i9-7940X, 14x 3.10GHz, boxed without cooler (BX80673I97940X)
- Closed Cooling System: Corsair Hydro Series H115i (CW-9060027-WW)
- Case: Thermaltake Core W100, acrylic window (CA-1F2-00F1WN-00)
- Silent Wings: be quiet! Silent Wings 3 PWM, 140mm (BL067)
- Hard Disk: Seagate Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 10TB, 512e, SATA 6Gb / s (ST10000NM0086)
- Graphics Cards: 2x ASUS ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti OC, 11GB GDDR5X, DVI, 2x HDMI, 2x
- DisplayPort (90YV0AM0-M0NM00)
Together with our friends working on 'the DreamMachine'
The moment of truth: using the CPU
After long hours of working came the moment of truth: Andreas tried to use the CPU. Dejan was even attended to make a live-stream video of the joyous moment that we put the motherboard in.
What is the outcome of this event?
An amazing working DreamMachine! But we have learned also some lessons
1. Building computers is also hanging out together!
Friday night is only intended for hanging out in a bar? Wrong thought. Doing some other stuff - like building a computer together - could be also a perfect way to end a week. Especially when there is Red Bull, beer and pizza. Sub-learning: care for food!
2. Plan enough time
“Uhm yes, I think we can assemble this computer in just three hours!” Unfortunately, that was too ambitious. Until everyone was here, we eat pizza, the live-stream worked, and much more things… time passed by. Therefore we could not finish the building completely on Friday. At some point, it was even midnight!
Live-Stream mit DerBrutkasten
3. Assembling a computer is heavy work
Even a week later, we still got requests when we organize a similar event or if there is a follow up. We received a lot of positive feedback and we had a lot of fun, but we learned that it’s also a tough job.
And, will we come up with a second event?
We wanted to signal to the community: "We are here and we would like to do something for you!" So there will of course come a follow-up, but for now that is a dream for the future. If you come by in the meantime and want to take a look at our machine or would like to give us some styling tips, then you are always welcome! So far we are happy that he is amazingly powerful and that our Intent and Entity recognition algorithms are doing well so far.